Friday 5 April 2013

Definitely Maybe Friday?

Today we spent the day in Taxco.  It sounds quite like Tesco, but is not remotely similar.  Although having said that, the taxis zooming up and down the road are quite dicey, a bit like supermarket trolleys in Tesco, with maniacs at the helm. But there are no similarities apart from that.   

After Colours, breakfast and making packed lunches, we boarded the bus and headed to a silver shop, where we learnt all about how to identify real silver.  It sounds different when you hit it.  We had the opportunity to buy some.  Most of us sold a kidney to pay for this trip, so we don't have a lot of money left to buy silver.  You only need one kidney really.  Although I did buy a pair of very small earrings, for my very small ears.   

Strolling through the winding streets of Taxco was like stepping back in time.  The taxis are all VW Beetles, which look like little bugs.  They tear up the streets like angry winding ants, but with skilful manoeuvres.  There are also minibuses aplenty, not quite up to TFL standards.  Helen Candy (one of three Helens on this trip - yes, three; call any of us Helen or Jill and you have 20% chance of being right) went in a bus and tells me the greatest risk was in being flung out of the side door, because there wasn't one. 

I spent a great deal of time on roof terraces chatting and watching the world go by.  I love roof terraces and have sat on them across the world.  I also purchased a geniune Mexican thimble, to add to my collection.  I started collecting thimbles at the tender age of 7 when my mother suggested that I purhcase one at Beatrix Potter's house because that's where I happened to be.  She suggested I start a collection, which I did and now have more than 500 which document my entire life.  But they don't sell them in Burkina Faso, which was disappointing. 

Many of the group took the cable car at Montetaxco, then for the best views, they wandered into the neighbouring hotel, across the roof terrace, and took up positions by the pool to take the best photographs across the vista.

I can't believe I have neglected to tell you all about our dorm trip at 6.30am to see the volcano.  Led by our trusty Region Chief, we marched in our pyjamas to the campfire circle, but it was a bit hazy.  One of my favourite vegetarians, Hilary, turned up, looking confused.  We didn't see the volcano, but we had a lot of fun trying to find it. 

This evening I ran a comedy improvisation workshop for whoever wanted to join in.  We had many laughs playing impro games.  If you don't know much about comedy impro, think 'Who's Line Is It Anyway?', think 'Comedy Store Players'.  In fact, why not go to the Comedy Store one Wednesday or Sunday night to see the best impro in London - the Comedy Store Players - they are superb.

I am interested to know if anyone is reading this.  If you are doing so, and you like it, please write nice comments.  If you don't like it, please don't write anything.

Night night!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Helen. I'm reading your blog! Loving reading about what you're doing - and seeing the photos on Our Cabana's website. Hope you all continue to have a wonderful time. Angela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're all having a wonderful time! I also love the fact that you've referred to Hilary as one of your favourite vegetarians :)
    Lucy H

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading! Looks like you having a great time! Brings back good memories of when I visited Our Cabana! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. its quite hard being a veggie abroad, i am always suspicious and end up poking into everything i eat. quite brave of you hilary to head off to mexico and guatemala. Seems like you all having a great time .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm reading, We are having a meeting tonight to choose our pick n mix for next year

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry - only just saw this comment for some reason. Great to hear you are planning a trip! It is a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete